If you are missing one or more teeth, skip an uncomfortable denture or unsightly bridge that can cause gum and esthetic problems. Dental implants are one of the most popular treatments in the United States. In fact, the American Academy of Implant Dentistry reports that around three million Americans have chosen to restore their smiles with implants and this figure is only expected to grow in upcoming years.
Why are dental implants beneficial?
Implants are a wonderful solution for numerous reasons. Besides the obvious that they are the most permanent option to replace a missing tooth, dental implants serve many aesthetic and functional needs as detailed below:
- Implants support your existing jawbone and gums from receding and deteriorating
- Implants are the most natural looking tooth without any metal collars like dental crowns or blemishes that can occur from crowns or veneers
- Implants restore permanent tooth function with no mobile prosthetic like a denture
- Implants help maintain a youthful appearance
- Implants success are over 95% and have the longest lifespan for dental restorations
Many people will opt for one or more dental implants after suffering from years with a faulty denture or bridge. After recognizing the investment financially and treatment-wise, it makes the most sense to opt for implants because of a lifetime guarantee of extra stability and comfort when eating and speaking. Your Dental Office in San Diego can outline all of the benefits of dental implants o your general health and dental health at a scheduled consultation.
What are the different types of dental implants offered?
Dental implants San Diego offers different types of implants depending on your dental needs. The most common types of dental implants include:
- Single tooth implants replace a single missing tooth
- Implant retained bridges replace several missing teeth and can use a natural tooth or a dental implant as an anchor for the bridge
- Implant retained dentures replace an entire arch or both arches of teeth. They typically use 4 to 6 implants depending on the bone level and type of prosthetic you choose.
Who is a good candidate for dental implants?
Unfortunately, not everyone is eligible for dental implants. For dental implants to be successful, you need to be in good medical health and have optimal bone levels. If you have any chronic medical conditions or inflammation, it can compromise the dental implant healing process.
People who are immunocompromised with diabetes, cancer, HIV/AIDS, or an autoimmune deficiency may need to discuss other treatment options.
What is the dental implant process?
Drs. Altrock and Fabb are committed to providing high quality care to their patients. This is why your initial consultation is one of the most important visits of the dental implant process. It is here you will discuss the entire procedure and process, including your eligibility, medical history, financial budget, and how your implant will function and look.
Your Dentist in San Diego utilizes advanced 3-D imaging to help guide you through the entire process and give you a visual of the end result. This specialized technology also helps provide quality care during the surgical visit. Implant placement includes administering local anesthesia, so you are comfortable throughout the procedure. Some patients choose to use Nitrous Oxide or General Anesthesia if they have faced dental anxiety in the past.
If you require a tooth extraction, it may be completed before your implant or at the time of implant placement. Some patients also require additional surgical procedures like bone grafting or sinus augmentation to help improve your chances for implant success.
A titanium implant screw is gently screwed into the jawbone and then you sutured so your gum tissues can heal. The implant screw will serve as the tooth root for your new artificial tooth.
You will be monitored throughout your healing period for several months until it is ready for a custom restoration. It is during this stage we start to design your custom restoration. Whether you need a single crown or custom made implant-retained bridge or denture, it will be permanently inserted to give you a long lasting and natural new smile.
How long does a dental implant procedure take?
The actual surgical process lasts around one hour, but it will also depend on how many dental implants you need. Your Dental Office in San Diego offers the most advanced level of dental technology, therefore with surgical guides and dental imaging, surgery is quicker and more accurate to provide optimal success.
What is the post-treatment care for my dental implant?
An implant is slightly uncomfortable following the procedure, but discomfort is usually temporary. You can expect any of the following after dental implant surgery:
- Pain — It is recommended to take over-the-counter pain medication like acetaminophen or ibuprofen as needed. Always speak with your dentist prior to taking medication. You may also be recommended an antibiotic if necessary.
- Sutures — Sometimes you may receive self-resorbing sutures that dissolve within 7 to 10 days. If non self-resorbing sutures are placed, you would need them removed at your follow-up visit.
- Bruising — Temporary bruising around the surgical site is common, but if you think you are bruising more than expected, contact your Dentist in San Diego.
- Swelling — Use a cold compress or ice packs to decrease any swelling and inflammation. You should use a salt rinse or antibacterial mouthwash to decrease any chances of infection.
- Eating — Eat soft foods to keep the implant stable to disrupt the surgical site. Avoid biting into hard candy or crunchy foods for several days.
What is the success rate of an implant?
Clinical studies show an implant is successful if it is functionally stable after 5 years. If conditions of placing an implant are optimal – good overall health and sufficient bone, implant success rates are up to an estimated 95%. While dental implants are a long-term investment, it has the greatest longevity of any dental prosthetic.
Dental implants near me in San Diego are your greatest chances for replacing a natural tooth. Your dental implants will ensure greater stability, more comfort eating and speaking, and a brighter smile. Schedule a consultation with Altrock Fabb Dental today to discuss your dental needs and how an implant can improve your quality of life.